Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Eiffel Tower, Paris - a Photo Study

The Iron Lady

 
When evening comes, Tour Eiffel wears her light colours and starts to sparkle.


The Eiffel Tower charmed me more than I expected, with its delicate scalloped ironwork designs on the lower edges. Paris is a city known for its artistic elegance in wrought iron, and this tower is no exception.  How much more fantastic the Eiffel Tower must have seemed in 1889, after its completion for the Paris Exhibition.


The Eiffel at a Different Angle




Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, born December 15, 1832, in Dijon, France, is the man who designed the world famous Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel) for the 1889 Exposition in Paris. He was also a writer, publishing 31 books and treatises about his numerous projects and experiments. More information about Gustave Eiffel can be found at the links below this post.


***
72 Names of Men
(scientists, engineers, and associated professionals) who contributed to the Eiffel Tower's construction, line the bottom edge on all four sides.  I was impressed until I discovered the women who contributed were omitted from being so exalted.  It was the Age of Men, then, wasn't it?  Women didn't have the vote.





Eiffel Tower - View of 1st level by DG Hudson
 On the lower edge under the first overhang are the names, half obscured by the protective netting.  Since 2010/2011, these names have been restored to their golden lustre, making them a little easier to read from ground level.


***


Ironwork Detail of Eiffel Tower





An elevator at the entrance takes visitors to the different levels and offers an interior view of the supporting structure on the way up. A private elevator takes visitors to the second level if they have reservations at the Michelin-starred Restaurant there.  Check the website for information on the third level. 

***

On the first level is the main restaurant, Le 58 Tour Eiffel, on the second level is the Jules Verne Restaurant, both with above average prices.  There are many reviews to be found online for both restaurants. See link below.

***
Blue Paris, at dusk from the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur upper left on horizon.  The Seine River cuts through diagonally.




Most of our time on the Eiffel Tower was spent photographing the four sides of Paris visible from the first level.  The photos before and after are a sampling.



The Trocadero View from the Eiffel Tower


Trocadero with Carousel at left, by DG Hudson

Hope you enjoyed the photo tour, and if you'd like more of my Paris Posts, see under the tab at the top.

All photos taken Autumn 2010 in Paris France by DG Hudson.
****


The Eiffel Tower

****
Paris Exhibition of 1889
The tower formed the main symbol and the entrance arch to the fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposition_Universelle_(1889)


****
How about you?
-Have you seen the Eiffel Tower in Paris?  (Vegas doesn't count)

-Do you know of or like another city's iconic monuments better?  Please share in the comments. 

****

21 comments:

  1. Very nice. Love the Blue Paris shot. I've never made it there; some day, some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get there one day, Bryan, I know you'd take some great photos.

      I love that Blue Paris shot too. If you watch Midnight in Paris, you get a taste of how Paris gets in your heart.

      Delete
  2. Awesome photos. I never knew the men's names were included in the structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years, the men's names may not have been highlighted with the gold lettering.

      We didn't know who they were when we first saw them, so I had to investigate (being of the curious sort).

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Great pics, and I enjoyed the information (well, not so much the women not getting respect for their contributions, but you know...). I'm partial to Washington, D.C.'s monuments/structures, but I enjoy different architecture globally.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had the pleasure of seeing the Washington, DC monuments, Shannon, but I know they're impressive.

      I've always wanted to see the Lincoln monument after I read his biography.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous shots. I've been to Paris once--in college. I need to go again because my memories have become fuzzy of the trip. I'm sure it had nothing to do w/all the wine... ;p But you're so right! La Dame de Fer is incredible~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go again, too, LTM, since there were a few places I didn't get to. I personally think the French wine tastes better when you're in Paris. We ordered it the French way with tap or bottled water.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the tour of a different *angle* of of history and loved the views you got from the tower itself.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sia, for dropping by. I like to study things in depth with a camera. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  6. These are really great pictures. I did not know that names were engraved n the structures.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Gina! I noticed the names and had to research the Eiffel Tower to find out the significance.

      These men came from a variety of professions, all having to do with parts of Eiffel. (Scientists, engineers, meteorologists, mathematicians,etc.)

      Delete
  7. I climbed the stairs of the Eiffel Tower and had lunch in the old restaurant near the top, before they dismantled it and shipped it to New Orleans. When I visited my sister in N.O., we ate at the remantled restaurant. At one point, I asked her where the restroom was and she said, "You're the one that's been here before, you should know."

    Thanks for visiting my blog and I look forward to reading your A to Z Challenge blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Gail and thanks for following. I didn't know about the old restaurant being dismantled. Was that the one before the Jules Verne Restaurant?

      Thanks for sharing that bit of Eiffel history.

      Delete
  8. Great information! I never knew anything about the names. How interesting and telling. Great picture accompaniment, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J. I don't think the names were easy to see when they were painted the same colour as the tower, or had become grimy with air pollution.

      Glad you liked the pix.

      Delete
  9. I showed my kids your pictures. They're excited and want to take a trip to France. I told them to start saving their Francs and Euros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Stephen, and as far as I know, it's still Euros.

      I had to save for my trip too. It was more than worth it.

      Delete
  10. Paris - definitely a destination goal. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, farawayeyes, and glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  11. Paris is I believe a beautiful city. I'm sad to say I have never been to France let alone Paris but the Eiffel Tower is certainly an amazing monument.

    As always, your photo's bring these places alive.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before they show on the blog.